Thursday, August 7, 2014

On the News This Week: Ralph Lauren promotes Kids Literacy

Hello, Hello everybody! Welcome to another "On The News" post. Here is our piece of news:
From August 5, 2014 through September 1, 2014, 10% of the purchase price from the sale of the apparel and accessories* in the Fall 2014 Children's Fashion Show will benefit Reach Out and Read as part of the Ralph Lauren Children's Literacy Program 
          -From Ralph Lauren website
When I first saw this on Twitter, my first thoughts were very positive. I love campaigns that promote reading particularly for children. Reach Out and Read promotes reading, early literacy really, through medical practitioners, such as pediatricians.  It is a great cause, and it sure deserves some extra support. It reaches "only" the United States and I am using quoting marks, because it is a lot, even is technically is only one country.

But then I went to see the collection. It is adorable, both the clothing for girls and boys. You can find clothes for your 2 year old toddler and up to 16 years old...but it can be incredibly expensive!!!

Sure, you are going to tell me, well It Is Ralph Lauren. Yes, they have very good structure in their clothing, good quality materials...they also have a fair amount of their clothing outsourced and hence their cost of manufacture doesn't really compensate their prices. It is all related to the lable. Off course I know this is not a situation unique to RL, I know the "power" of a label, not only in fashion...but right now I am looking at the adorable clothing and thinking: if I had a kid, would I want her/him to learn about this power so early in life? even if part of this money is going to help other children?

I do not have kids yet, and I know parents want to give the best of everything to their kids, including good example, supporting nice causes like this one, but a voice inside of me keeps telling me that I might as well just donate the 40$ that RL would give Reach Out and Read, instead of buying a 395$ Schoolboy Jacket...What do you think? I would love to hear your opinions as always.


No comments:

Post a Comment