Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Preacher by Camilla Läckberg (Fjällbacka #2)



First impression


Depending on where you check this series it might be either advertised as Fjälbacka's or Patrick Hedström's. I want to mention this because as much as I like the series I was hoping for more of Erica Falck as a main character and so I've realized that the second nomination might be more accurate.

But enough of that bit of complaining. A lot of people might think that Camilla Läckberg only jumped in the noir novella wagon after the whole Millenium hype, but this is not true. She has been working on this series for a while now and she does it masterfully. I love this dark, everyone has huge issues, books and in general Swedish noir novelists scratch that itch perfectly.

Final thoughts

Set once again in Fjällbacka, which by the way seems like it is a beautiful place, the book opens with a murdered girl set upon a pile of bones. Detective Patrick Hedström is placed in charge of the investigation. As evidence scarcely appears, it awakens the memories of 2 disappearances more than 20 years ago; disappearances that touched one of the most prominent families of the town, the Hults, dividing them irremediably.

Here is the thing about this author. In both of her books she manages to make me suspect everyone, and always to steer me slightly in the wrong direction so by the end I am still surprise with final events. With a very well paced prose I embarked full into the story from the beginning. Without realizing it, the first night I spent 2 hours reading and I would've continue if it wasn't because I had to work the next day.

This is not a gory book, and that is one of the reasons why I like the style so much. Is more based on suspense than anything else; twist and turns; hidden psychological problems and off course the tension of a relative small population.

I was a bit disappointed as I mentioned before about the fact that Erica is no longer the main character (maybe she never was?) in this book she is relegated to staying at home since she is in the latest stage of her pregnancy. It also drives me crazy what happens to Anna, but I will not comment much on it since I do not want to give any spoilers away.

I will be reading the third book of the series because I like Camilla's style so much. Can't wait to see what else happens in Fjällbacka.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment