Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Late-Starters Orchestra by Ari. L Goldman




I asked and received this book through the LybraryThing Early Reviewers program for free. This review is not sponsored nor influenced in anyway. Thanks to Algonquin Books for the book.

First impression

When I first read the description of this book for some reason I put it in my mind as fiction so when I finally got my copy it was a nice surprise to realize it was indeed a non-fiction part memoir. The author decides to take back his learning of the cello when he is approaching his 60s. It is not the first time he tries the instrument, since he had his first lessons in his 20s, but then for some reason or another wasn't able to continue. This book tells us about his new reconnecting with the instrument, the memories this brings as well as the challenges.

Final thoughts


I started my violin lessons when I was 12, and I was already considered a late starter. I didn't continue after I turn 17 because my last year of high school was busy enough. Reading this memoir made me think that maybe eventually I will take it back.

As I mentioned, we follow the author through his journey of getting back in the saddle with his instrument with speckles of his daily activities, his son's Judah's love for the cello, his past and the reasons why he wanted to do this so wholeheartedly. With a very sincere voice and a very easy to follow prose, the author shows us not only his journey but also those of fellow musicians that he encounters in the different orchestras and courses he takes. He also gives a bit of information on how an orchestra works and the specifications of a learning cello.

The book reminded me of A.J. Jacobs a bit with less of a humoristic view of the situation. Maybe because of this fact I was not fully blown away by the story. It is very sweet to sees his interactions with Judah and how differently they approach the music. I think maybe if I would've read other books from the author before, I would be more used to his family (which is the case for me with Jacobs) and hence I wouldn't feel a lack of info for the other children and his wife.

The book itself is very pretty, with darling illustrations. I would recommend this to anyone like me, that still keeps their instrument in the closet, hoping to one day use it again :)



No comments:

Post a Comment