Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass

Love is beautiful pain

Why I read this book?

I have this thing where is very hard to leave things unfinished...including book series. It might take me a bit to re catch with a series, especially if I feel that it has been going down in quality, but unless they make me very mad I will be back. This is case for the series by Kiera Cass, and since the second book was also available in Overdrive I just went for it.

What's the book about?

So one again we are following the passage of America Singer in the "contest" for the crown. If you haven't read The Selection, I would suggest to you stop reading, just in case you find this review a spoiler. America has made it into the Elite, but she is still unsure about her feeling for Maxon, particularly with Aspen at the palace.

But the competition is not the only thing that is worrying America; the attacks by the rebels seem to get worst and are now apparently related to the Selection itself.

Final thoughts

Well that was a surprise. I went into this sequel with very low expectations, thinking it was going to be boring...but I was pleasantly surprised. The Bachelor inspiration is still there but as the group of girls grows smaller is easier to see her characteristics and what makes them interesting characters.

I was very shocked at the turn of events with Marlee. Albeit I was suspecting what was going on with her (no spoilers I promise) I did not see the resolution coming. But at the same time it gave me a different light to see Maxon. I still don't like Aspen, for me he is just obnoxious most of the time.

Although America was less bland in this sequel, I still think she has some ground to cover before I can say I genuinely like her. I applaud her courage and determination with her new projects and is through her that we learn some things that have been hidden about this royalty (I told you it was a bit weird that THAT was the road the new country went for) but I still wish she was more...aggressive towards her goals and how she addresses problems.

I'm getting used to the voice of Amy Rubinate and I feel that in this book her "guy" voice got better. I just would like her to make a bit more emphasis in intonation as sometimes dialogues sound very flat.



No comments:

Post a Comment