Friday, November 29, 2013

Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles #4) by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be.

Why I read this book?

This is the fourth book from the Caster Chronicles series. So far I have been very pleased with it, even with the tiny novella (Dream Dark) so here I am, continuing with Lena's and Ethan's story.

What's the book about?

As you might remember from Beautiful Darkness, Lena has broken the Order as she claimed herself as both Light and Darkness. We also learned that John Breed was being used by Serafine and Abraham and this book we see the consequences of both events. Both the Caster and the Mortal world are being affected by the order being broken, and only a sacrifice can stop the Wheel of Faith but is not clear what should be sacrificed.

Final thoughts

What Lena had done was the Caster equivalent to smashing the Ten Commandments.

Once again I think Garcia and Stohl did a very nice job. The side stories intertwine nicely and smoothly with the main story line without being less important and adding to the fullness of the characters. I think I've mentioned before that I like the fact that nor Lena nor Ethan are helpless without each other but they are better together. Both of them figure things out and help the other without seeming utterly dependent on the other. Most of all, I like the fact that they both show love for others both in family and friends and their devotion is equal to them.

Was I expecting what happened with Ridley? Yes, it wasn't that of a secret what she was doing and how. I was however surprised at the fate of Sarafine, that I was not expecting.

The book ends with a cliff hanger, which is ok, considering that I have the next book to follow. In all I enjoyed the book, as always was a fast read both because of the story and because it is well written. Once again I applaud the fact that both authors don't try to write "like a teenager would talk" and hence I'm not rolling my eyes in the middle of a sentence doubting anyone would actually talk like that.



No comments:

Post a Comment