Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Never List by Koethi Zan




PICTURE TO COME :)

Human beings are so terrible...they can bear anything

Why I read this book?

I heard Rebecca Joines Schinsky talking about it in one of her podcasts and since I liked Gone Girl so much, I went immediately to reserve it at my local library. I read it in 2 days and that's only because I couldn't spend the day just reading.

What's the book about?

Sarah (now known as Caroline) is a survivor of kidnapping and torture in her early twenties. She was abducted with her best friend who didn't make it. Now, after 10 years, her abductor is about to be released on parole, since he was "only convicted" on abduction, not murderer. Determined to find a reason for him to stay in jail, she embarks in a quest to re trace her past, confront her fears and try to solve the mystery still open.

What about the main character?

She is a traumatized (can you blame her?) woman, agoraphobic of sorts. She left Ohio and now works in New York as a risk analyst, which is perfect for her since she can work from home. Also, she is a person that lives in a constant guilt trip, not only because Jennifer died, but she feels guilty around the 2 other girls that were there also abducted around the same time she was. 

Final thoughts

I liked the book, but I think I would've compared it to Dark Places and not Gone Girl. Why? Because yes is well written, yes is a bit disturbing, but this was always constant, it didn't built up like Gone Girl did; the characters didn't turned out to be more twisted the more you read. Sure, I didn't expect the end, but I can't say I was flabbergasted with it, I was more like "Oh, well how about that?" and then continued.  I don't know if this is going to sound weird, but with the comments I saw around before reading it, I thought it was going to be more descriptive, more chill-down-your-spine type of book. I'm not necessarily disappointed at the fact that it wasn't, but you see, I think that's what set appart Gillyan Flynn for me, that a lot of time I had to put down my book and say: F%^&! 





No comments:

Post a Comment