Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Reading Overload


So…I’m reading 3 books at the same time. Never, ever in my life have I tried this. I’m usually an “on-book-gal” and proud of it. Already with the amount of articles that I have to read for work, is hard for me to follow everything that’s happening in several articles at a time, imagine with books. But then, a lot happened. 

I don’t have an order for the books that I want to read during this year, so I decided to go for “The Bluest Eye” by Toni Morrison after I finished “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” by Seth Grahame-Smith. 2 reasons lead me to that decision: First of all, The Book Lady starting the Tony Morrison day and second the fact that I recently joined the Read the Nobels blog. So I thought, why not? However, one of TBL advices when reading Tony Morrison is to NOT read it before going to sleep. Now, she looooooves Tony Morrison, and I have never read a book from her, so I decided to follow her advice. Problem is, I cannot go to bead without reading. I just can’t! 

Someone came to my rescue without knowing it, since I got a copy of “The Super Spud Trilogy” by Michael Diack, which became my bedtime book. So far so good, 2 books, I can do this right?. 

And then…and then I got a call from my local library. They got the last part of “1Q84” by Haruki Murakami waiting for me. Well, not really, they got an edition of the book that has the 3 books, whereas I finished an edition that only has the first 2. What to do? I couldn’t let that book go, because who knows how long would it take for it to come back to me and I really, really want to know what happens at the end (Murakami does that to you, apparently). At the same time, I couldn’t leave the Trilogy behind, someone is waiting for a review, and I’m enjoying the Spuds…and I can’t leave The Bluest Eye behind because…well, I’m really liking the story, hard as it is. 

So here I am…reading 3 books at a time, trying at the same time to start packing and no to cut completely my social life…while off course keeping ahead at work…ha…Hopefully I won’t get lost in between so many different stories!.
So what about you? What’s your record for books read at the same time? How do you manage to keep the stories straight?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I've had 5 books on the go at once in the past but I more often have two - one for carrying around with me and one for bedtime. I never have a problem with keeping the stories straight but if I've got really engrossed in one I might neglect the other for a bit too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what happened to me. I started with the Trilogy, but I got so in to The Bluest Eye, that I couldn't put it down, except to go to sleep!

      Delete