Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Challenges and goals update: How did I do in July?


As I mentioned on Sunday's post, July was pretty busy for me. That however meant that my stress was high and high stress usually means lots of reading. I realize it might not make much sense to a lot of people, but that's how it goes here. I need something to disconnect and that's either reading or baking and it's been too hot to bake. Granted, I didn't read any more than I have in other months, but considering the amount of "free" time I had, believe me, it was a lot of books ;). So let's take a look of what I read this month.

Diversifying 2015:


Of the 8 books I read 4 had a POC author (Traficantes de Belleza by Zoé Valdez, Maud's Line by Margaret Verble, La Casa de los Espíritus by Isabel Allende and A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki) and all of those had a POC main character.

Read Harder:

For "A book written by someone when they were under the age of 25" I read St. Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell. And for "A Romance Novel" I read A Rogue by any other Name by Sarah MacLean.

My goals:

Read at least 1 POC author per month: 4 POC this month guys!

Read at least 1 book in Spanish per month: 2 this month, one in print (Traficantes de Belleza and it was beautiful to read) and one in audio (La casa de los Espíritus)

Read CanLit book per month: This month's pick for The Hello Hemlock book club was Through the Woods by Emily Carroll, an amazing and dark graphic novel. Really, give it a try.

Read at least 1 book of nonfiction per month: Because I've already read 12 NF books this year, and hence my average of one NF book per month would be met, I gave myself a "free" month, just to not force myself into anything. I did start one NF book but it just didn't do it for me, so I just DNF.

Finished series: Nothing finished this month

Read more already owned books: Of the 8 books only 3 weren't mine. :/

Read the picks of the month for each book club: For S&L the pick for this month was Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, which I read last December, so I skipped it this month. 

Aside from that I also listened to 2 a.m. in the Cat Pajama's by Marie-Helene Bertino, it was...different.

Well that was it for July. How was your reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment