Friday, May 1, 2015

Challenges and goals update: How did I do in April?



April was a fun month. We had the Read-a-Thon, the weather improved...and A became a PhD. I know, I know it has nothing to do with books, but I am so proud you guys! I read 10 books this month...ok, ok, 9 and ¾ because I am not done with The Tin Drum, but I am ¾ in and should finish it today, so you know.

Diversifying 2015:

Of the 10 books I read on April 3 of them where by a nonwhite author (30% total in the year), and 4 books had POCs as main characters (19% in the year). A Little Life also dealt with sexual diversity (So far, 8% of my reading has dealt with this). 6 of the books were written by women.

Read Harder:


This month I only checked one item of the list, being #2: A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65 with The View from Castle Rock by Alice Munro.

My goals:

Read at least 1 POC author per month: 3 books as I mentioned: L'oubli que nous serons by Héctor Abad, Inéd del Alma mía by Isabel Allende and A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

Read at least 1 book in Spanish per month: Inés del Alma mía by Isabel Allende

Read CanLit book per month: The View from Castle Rock by Alice Munro.

Read at least 1 book of nonfiction per month: 2 books this month: How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran and L'oubli que nous serons by Héctor Abad

Finished series: Acceptance by Jeff Vandermeer was the last installment in the Southern Reach Trilogy. I did a review here.

Read more already owned books: 5 of the books I read this month are mine. I had 3 from the library and 2 e-galleys

Read the picks of the month for each book club: No pick for Hello Hemlock this month, but Wyrd Sisters was the pick for The Sword and Laser book club.

It was a great thing the Read-a-Thon, because by then (25th of April) I was a bit behind on my "planned" reading. This was because A Little Life took a lot more time and mostly energy than I expected, but in a good way. I haven't gotten around to writing that review, but soon enough. Unfortunately, this wasn't the best month in galleys, but hey, you win a little you lose a little, am I right?
You will notice that I am not counting comics here, even though I've been reading a fair amount of them. But since I only started reading comics this year, I want to keep those stats separately.

So there you have it; that was my month in books. How was yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment