Monday, November 24, 2014

Nonfiction November: New to my TBR


I cannot believe that this month is almost gone! And I haven't even send my Christmas cards yet!!! Let's hope they make it on time.

But our topic today is "Which ones have made it onto your TBR?" Well, I have a bunch, and I mean A BUNCH, but I wanted to concentrate on 5 for now, just to keep it relatively simple.

FromTrish@Love Laughter and a Touch of Insanity: She had a great post on Nonfiction and Diversity and from it I got Spirit Boy by Paul Apowida:
[...]Ghana, Paul Apowida tells his story of his childhood amongst villagers who thought he was possessed by the spirit of demons and continually tried to kill him or rid their community of him. His story is not an isolated one and he is currently trying to raise awareness in his home village as well as with other Ghanan villages.
From Shanon  @ River City Reading: Once again from the Nonfiction and Diversity post; she had some kick-ass recommendations (she always does) but the one that I put in my TBR was Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay:
A collection of essays spanning politics, criticism, and feminism from one of the most-watched young cultural observers of her generation, Roxane Gay.
Also from Shannon, but this time from my comment section, she  recommended The Emperor of All Maladies by  Siddhartha Mukherjee. I've already had this one considered for A, but I think I will give it a try for myself:
The Emperor of All Maladies is a magnificent, profoundly humane “biography” of cancer—from its first documented appearances thousands of years ago through the epic battles in the twentieth century to cure, control, and conquer it to a radical new understanding of its essence.  
From Becca @ I'm Lost in Books and her post on "Being the Expert" I want to read The Road of Lost Innocence by Somaly Mam:
Born in a village deep in the Cambodian forest, Somaly Mam was sold into sexual slavery by her grandfather when she was twelve years old. For the next decade she was shuttled through the brothels that make up the sprawling sex trade of Southeast Asia. She suffered unspeakable acts of brutality and witnessed horrors that would haunt her for the rest of her life–until, in her early twenties, she managed to escape. Unable to forget the girls she left behind, Mam became a tenacious and brave leader in the fight against human trafficking, rescuing sex workers–some as young as five and six–offering them shelter, rehabilitation, healing, and love and leading them into new life.
And then I stumble by accident with Black Milk by Elif Shafak. I was looking for her book Honor and ended up putting both books in my cart. On Black Milk:
After the birth of her first child in 2006, Turkish writer Elif Shafek suffered from postpartum depression that triggered a profound personal crisis. Infused with guilt, anxiety, and bewilderment about whether she could ever be a good mother, Shafak stopped writing and lost her faith in words altogether. In this elegantly written memoir, she retraces her journey from free-spirited, nomadic artist to dedicated by emotionally wrought mother. Identifying a constantly bickering harem of women who live inside of her, each with her own characteristics-the cynical intellectual, the goal-oriented go-getter, the practical-rational, the spiritual, the maternal, and the lustful-she craves harmony, or at least a unifying identity. As she intersperses her own experience with the lives of prominent authors such as Sylvia Plath, Virginia Woolf, Alice Walker, Ayn Rand, and Zelda Fitzgerald, Shafak looks for a solution to the inherent conflict between artistic creation and responsible parenting. 
I am very happy with this selection because as you probably noticed it is quite diverse (something I want to work on during 2015) not only in the origins of the authors but also in the type of stories that are being told. It also scares me a bit, because they all touch very "heavy" subjects (well maybe not the Emperor, but it is a heavy book) but I think this is a good thing, I can't just read funny nonfiction.

So there you have it. What about you? did you get a lot of books in you TBR? Let me know in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment