Monday, October 6, 2014

The French Executioner by C.C. Humphreys

I asked and received this book through NetGalley for free. This review is not sponsored nor influenced in anyway. Thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark for the book.


First impression


I am a sucker for historical fiction, particularly for the Tudors. I don't know what it is, but I really enjoy reading about that particular time. I requested this book knowing that Anne Boleyn wouldn't be the main character but rather Jean Rombaud, her executioner. I was utterly disappointed to see that Boleyn barely makes an appearance though.

The book was full of battles and fights, which would've been fine with me if I had a bit more of the historical descriptions that I was hoping from. The story, while interesting, could've been set in any other period of time and it wouldn't change much. This book was unfortunately not for me.

Final thoughts

Don't get me wrong. The book is very well written and the characters had an interesting background...ti was just not what I was expecting from a book with Anne Boleyn in the cover. Jean Rombaud has a compelling back story but for me it was not enough to carry the story and why would he embark on this mission.

The historical part leaves very early in the story and is replaced from more fantastical and action feeling. Once again, this is well developed, but it was not what I was craving from when I read the description of the book.

Removing my disappointment towards the story itself I have to say that it is very well written. If you are looking for adventure you are going to have it; it is fast paced, the sword fighting is vivid, the bad guys are despicable and you will end up cheering for the good guys.

While is not the most accurate historical adventure I've read, the settings are well described and you can feel most of the time as you are in a medieval time piece. Once again, I have to say, the main part of the story could've been taken out of the historical context, and in my opinion, it wouldn't have suffered.

I don't think I will continue with the series, for I felt that it ended on a good note for Jean. If you are looking for an historical, fast pace adventure this might be for you though. The publisher's are allowing a US giveaway, just leave a comment down telling me what is your favorite historical fiction. The winner will be selected randomly at the end of the week. Stick around for a guest post of the author about his choice of main character.


No comments:

Post a Comment