Monday, September 15, 2014

The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass

First impression

After I finish the second book in this series I thought maybe the series could end on a good note (it was supposed to be a trilogy, but now I learnt there is a new one coming) so I decided to read the third one. Oh boy was I disappointed! America goes back to being helpless and most all the stuff that happened was predictable. It felt like a long teenager fight with some tiny unexpected moments here and there.

Final thoughts

First a rant: 2 more books? Seriously? Why? Well, no I know why but still...ugh

Now for the review. The reason why I gave an extra star to the second book was because America was finally showing some guts, seemed like she was going to stop being the "My life depends on a boy" face and more of "well I've learned some serious stuff about the country, maybe there are bigger things than having a boyfriend" but then this book is her fighting with Maxon over and over. "Oh I love him, oh maybe not, oh actually yes, but I won't say it first"

There are a couple of moments related to the rebels during most of the book, but this seems to be pushed back more than a notch , which saddens me because giving an actual development to the political side of the story was what, for me, would've set it apart from the ton of similar stories being published.

There were 2 things I didn't see coming, and while I will not discuss them at length to avoid spoilers I will tell you that for me were charged with forced sadness and it didn't add much to the story. While some may argue that the first sad event does bring something extra to the background I would counter that there was no need for the sad part.

Anyway, that's it for me with this series. I have one of the novellas that I got for free through Kobo, but I don't think I will read it anytime soon.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment