Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Doll Bones by Holly Black


 I asked and received this book through NetGalley for free. This review is not sponsored nor influenced in anyway.

First impressions

I've only read the Curse Worker's trilogy by Holly Black, but since I really loved those I thought to myself that I would like anything she writes. When I saw a copy of Doll Bones at Net Galley I figured it would be a nice chance to test my theory.

Final thoughts
This book was so cute and a bit scary at the same time. The type of book I would've loved to read when I was a kid. It was nominated for a Young Adult prize, but to me it felt more like Middle School oriented. Maybe since the characters are around 12 years old.

It is a nice story of friendship, between 2 girls, Poppy and Alice, and a boy, Zach. They rely on their imagination to build the most wonderful scenarios. However, Zach's father is not thrilled about him playing after school with "dolls" and spending so much time with girls (insert grumbling sound here) so he decides to take initiative...oh parents parenting. I will not give much away just in case you might consider this as spoilers, but Zach s pretty much forced to stop playing.

However as this happens, Poppy, the one with the biggest imagination of the trio comes to them with The Queen, a china doll that her mother has and that for "ages" has been the ruler of the kingdoms that they built their stories in. The Queen, she says, actually holds the spirit of a murdered girl, and she won't let her rest until they take the doll to be buried in her home town.

I think I am out of the age that would be actually scared by the book, but it doesn't stop me from appreciating the beautiful writing, the gorgeous illustrations by Eliza Wheeler (I am pretty sure they have to be even more awesome in paper, they looked so pretty in my Kobo) and the sweet angst the kids have all passing from kids to teenagers and being afraid to lose what they had in the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment