Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth

Sometimes people just want to be happy, even if it's not real

Why I read this book

I read Divergent on 2013, right after watching the trailer for the movie, since it seemed like an interesting premise. Since I did like the story and the characters I decided to continue with the trilogy.

What the books is about

If you haven't finished Divergent I suggest you stop reading right now. We left Tris and Four right after the attack controlled by Erudite. As a result she has now lost her parents and her faction. The survivors are now trying to build a plan that will allow them to recover control over their life. She will encounter the Candor and Amity factions, confront her guilt and learn about herself and her society more than she was expecting to.

First impressions

At the beginning of the book I was very annoyed at Tris. You see, I have very little patience for the martyr teenager (I've mentioned before how annoying I thought Harry was during the fifth book). When people want to get themselves killed as an impulse, not actually thinking how this would actually affect the rest of people depending on them it is just exasperating and selfish. However what made me continue reading was what was happening apart from Tris, getting to know the other factions and learning about the Factionless was actually interesting.

Final thoughts


Well, this book was not better nor worst than the first one. It was different though. As I mentioned, the interesting part of this one was mostly learning about the other factions and how the system was supposed to work. There weren't a lot of surprises here (the end I think is supposed to be, but in reality for me was more of a ha moment than a WOW OMG moment if you know what I mean)

I still think it is an interesting idea, a society divided according to personality traits and in this every sector is supposed to work for everyone else. Once again I have to applaud the fact that the story doesn't turn around a "love triangle" or around Tris and Four as a couple. Sure, it does affect her story, but is not the main thread carrying the story.

I think we cry to release the animal parts of us without losing our humanity.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment