Sunday, December 29, 2013

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


It is a condition of monsters that they do not see themselves as such.

Why I read this book?


I got a very nice gift from Audible...a 10$ credit. This book turned out to be under that price and I've heard a lot of nice things for this series, so I figure let's give it a try!

What's the book about?

Set in Prague the story begins with Karou, a 17 year old artist that has a particular family...a family of chimeras. She knows about the world beyond, she believes in magic and she has seen some dark things in her life. But things are going to get weirder when she starts noticing hand shaped burnt marks in the portals that she uses to do her errands. What or who is doing this she doesn't know but this will change the way she sees herself from now on.

What about the characters?

I LOVED Zuzana as a side character, her humor, her expressions and her art was something I would love to see in real life. As for Karou, she had "typical" rebellious teenager attitudes which can be annoying at sometimes but it was compensated by her interactions with Brimstone and Zuzana, in general with the people she loves.

I liked the sense of being lost, so constant in Karou's attitude, even when she tried to hide it from her friends. I realize it is a weird think to like, but this made her more relatable to me, being a teenager is very easy to not be sure where you are going and why you are doing what you are doing, and in her particular case, the fact that half of her life takes place in a supernatural world makes that feeling even deeper.

Final thoughts

The first half of the book is romance free, which I actually liked; it lets you get to know the main character. You want to learn about her back story and about the world her family comes from.

The second part is set in the chimaera world, Eretz. This part was beautiful to imagine!. The creatures described and the whole world were incredible in my imagination. I cannot talk much about it without giving away spoilers, but I will tell you that I enjoyed the descriptions and settings a lot.

The end caught me a bit by surprise; I was so concentrated into the wrld building I honestly didn't see that turn of events coming. But luckily for me, I already downloaded the second book, ready to start on 2014! 

Khristine Hvam is an amazing narrator. The pace and tones were just perfect to each moment of the story, and I found her voices ideal for each character. Every time she talked as Razgut I got chill down my spine, that's how good she was. 



No comments:

Post a Comment