Monday, October 14, 2013

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare




Why I read this book?

This is the second book in the Mortal Instrument Series. After reading the first one, I decided to give it a try to the whole series. Also it makes part of my Sequel Challenge. I would suggest if you haven’t read City of Bones, you stop reading right now.

What's the book about?

From the first book we learned that Clary is not a “mundane” and that she is actually the sibling of our charming Jace and they are the progeny of Valentine. In this book, Not only is Valentine back, stealing yet another one of the mortal instruments, but also Jace is considered suspicious and believed to be helping his father. On the not-other-world related stuff Clary is beginning to see Simon as more than her best friend.

What about the main character?

Has Clary gotten a bit deeper as a character since last time? Maybe a bit, however what I did of her was her dynamics with other characters around her. Since last review I commented mostly on her, let’s talk a bit about Jace. He is still a bit full of himself, but with so much pain coming from within (Valentine related, Clary related) we begin to see glimpses of a, if not sentimental, more emotional Jace.

Final thoughts

Although I cannot say that anything shown in this book came as a surprise, I have to admit it was an entertaining reading. I don’t like the fact that every teen female character is portrayed as easily swayed by a guy, but at least Isabelle can kick some ass once in a while. 

In paper it took me longer to read this book than it actually did. I started it and then I got 3 books from the library and off course this took precedent. When I actually sat down to only read this book it was an easy read. 

I am still expecting to Clary to become a bit more of a heavy character; even though the series is supposed to be about her it feels like she just goes with the motions and that annoys me a bit.

 

This is book makes part of my Sequel Challenge :)




No comments:

Post a Comment