Thursday, August 1, 2013

Under the Dome by Stephen King





Why I read this book?

I finally joined Audible you guys, and with all the hype about the series I figure, why not spend my first credit in this book? 36 hours of fun that's what I bought!

What's the book about?

You probably guessed by the title, and the TV series and the Simpson's movie...but basically, there is a town that has been locked in by an invisible dome. In less than a week, the pressure of being isolated, mix with not so pure intentions by the "powerful" people in town, gives us a dangerous cocktail of human behavior. 

What was the thing I liked the most? 

I liked the way people changed, or rather show their true colors under pressure, and how King portrayed this changes in a way that the images were completely vivid. The book was read by Raul Esparza, and I really liked him as a narrator. At first I had a bit of a problem getting used to his different voices.

What about the main character?

I think is hard to pin point a main character in the story, but the characters that have a main role are very well written; the "good" ones will make you feel empathy towards them easily while the "evil" ones will make the bile build up in your throat each time they get away with stuff.

Final thoughts

I've completely forgotten how Stephen King testing human nature. Take a small town and put an "evil" force lurking and you have a stew of madness. And he is good at writing this. The book gets under your skin faster than you realize it; I'm not sure if it being an audio helped me to get into the story so fast, but it wasn't a bad thing, I can assure you of that. Before this, I read It and Desperation, but I don't think I liked the stories as much as I did with this one. The fact that you have SO many characters that are taking an important role kept me on my toes, wanting to know what happened to every single one of them. I sort off see the end coming, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed it any less. There were some lines of the story I wished would've gotten more of a closure, and that's what stopped me from giving it a 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment