Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bossypants by Tina Fey





What's the book about? 

This was not biography itself. There is information about Tina's life, with some details about every stage in her life, splashed but humorous sentences or play on words. Her beginnings in theater, her first "real job, motherhood, family. Everything in a tiny yellow package with her in the cover (I read the paperback version).


What was different of this book?

First of all, is Tina Fey! I've loved her for a long time (as a comedian, not the creepy stalker kind of love, mind you). I think her duo with Jimmy Fallon was phenomenal and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, she paired up with miss Amy Poehler. I loved the fact that this book was empowering without telling me it was going to be so. Reading about strong women is nice. Reading about a strong, funny woman that happens to love her job and is not afraid to admit fragility...well that's just a great thing. I don't know if it was like that for everyone else who read this book, but I could almost hear her voice while reading. It's written in a very...shall I say friendly way?. Let's go with that. You feel like someone is there, next to you, telling you some funny anecdotes and her view on the world. 

What about the main character?

Did I mention I love Tina Fey?. Is hard to describe her as a usually do in this bullet point since she is, you know, real. But I want to say something. The Tina I got from her book is exactly the Tina I pictured in my head after watching her rise on SNL, kicking some butt in 30 Rock and rocking it in the last Golden Globe awards.

She is quirky, nerdy, smart and funny. She is silly and is not afraid to be. She knows she is lucky to have a job she likes and she is grateful for every part of her life. 

          Nerd no more, this new cut let people see the real me that was inside -a mother of four who was somehow also a virgin.

The 10% moment

Wait, what? 10%? I past the 10% of the book without noticing. I'm telling you, it was readable as it gets. If it wasn't because of things in the lab I would've finish it in one big gulp. 

Final thoughts

It's been so long since I laugh so much while reading!. My boyfriend kept looking at me a little bit worried I was losing it. This was a perfect gift from him. I enjoyed every moment of it, including the end where she is answering some questions to readers.

I also enjoyed all the mother moments. I'm not a mom yet, and I'm far away from being one anytime soon (Grad school people) but her prayer for her daughter is so beautiful. I'm sure by now you've seen it somewhere, as well as her critic on the what now is consider the perfect woman.  But a part that kept resonating for me was when she says that in every princess story she changes the word blond to yellow (about their hair) because she doesn't want her daughter to think that " somehow blond is better". 

Why this part in particular? Because it touches a close fiber. My baby cousin was very sad when she was 3 because all princesses seemed to have long, blond, straight hair... she has the most beautiful black, wavy hair. It took a while for her to understand that it wasn't better, that she was indeed as pretty as the princesses if not more. 

Then why am I giving only 4 mushrooms to this book if I liked it so much. Because there was something missing, something that would've forced me to stay up reading all Sunday night. I can't tell you what it is. Maybe the fact that I didn't feel a need to know what was going to happen next, since I kind of already knew. 

But I will tell you this, read it, laugh your pants off with it. It will be a great ride. Also, and this is great news: Amy Poehler's book is in the making people!! That is a sure read for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment