Sunday, August 5, 2012

TSS: Having trouble with a book

Hello everybody? How is your week-end coming along? Mine has been hot and humid :(. I don't like this type of heat, when you can't even go out because you feel sticky the moment you step out of the door.

I told myself that at least I would use the week-end to read my book, right? If I can't go out I will read in my couch, right? Wrong!. I'm having trouble reading The Colonel. Is not that is bad, actually I think is quite good. Is not that the subject is hard, I mean it is, but is not the reason why is taking me so long to read. 

The issue is the style. All of the sudden the author changes "voices" with no transition whatsoever, and I keep finding myself going back in the pages to follow who is telling the story.

Has this ever happened to you?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, if I'm struggling with a book it's usually style that's the issue. It can often be worth it (Virginia Woolf, for example) but then again, it can be just a whole lot of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the title but I read a book once that was written in first person... from the point of view of several characters. It was very clear when a different person was the "I", but it wasn't clear who that person was until you read a few paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete